I haven’t written a blog in exactly 239 days. I know many of you thought I may have fallen off the face of the Earth, and, for a while, I felt like I had. Much has changed in my life in the last 239 days (which I will go into detail in a later post), but I am feeling like I have my blogging mojo back. So, here I am! I thought National Running Day would be the most appropriate day for me to bust back on the blogging scene. TA-DA! Moving on…
HAPPY NATIONAL RUNNING DAY!
According to the official website, National Running Day is held annually on the first Wednesday in June and is a day when runners everywhere declare their passion for running. Obviously, this is something I can totally get behind. I may never be the fastest or longest distance runner, but I can tell you that I have a passion for this sport, so this is the perfect day for me. I like that the idea behind celebrating is to be inclusive for runners of all speeds and abilities. So often we are drawn to events where we feel like if we are not the fastest, biggest, strongest, best, whatever…then we don’t count. Well, today, we ALL count!
To get your own badge, head over to www.runningday.org/!
I know you are thinking, “How can I get in on this sweet National Running Day action?”, right? That’s easy, there are lots of ways to participate!
- Head over to the National Running Day website, Facebook, or Twitter and see what they’re all about. While you are there, drop them a line to tell them what running means to you and grab a badge to post on your page.
- Get social off-line! Find a group run today and make a new running buddy!
- Can’t find a group run? Start one. Pick a location. Pick a time. Invite your friends. It is that simple!
- Join a local track club.
- Sign up for a race. Whether it is a 5k or a marathon (or longer!), a goal race will help keep you motivated!
- Help or encourage a new runner. Got a friend who is thinking about taking up running? Invite him/her for a casual run/walk around the neighborhood. Don’t worry about speed or pace. Find out what his/her questions are and get them started in the right direction!
- Get outside and GO FOR A RUN! It’s just that simple. Personally, this is how I will be celebrating this evening. After work, Kiddo will be strapped in the running stroller and we will be hitting the trail!
Need an extra push to help get you out the door today? Check out this video the Hoyts. If this doesn’t rustle up some motivation and inspiration in your soul, I don’t know what will.
NATIONAL RUNNING DAY STEALS, DEAL, PRIZES, AND GIVEAWAYS
Some of the best perks about National Running Day are all the great discounts from our favorite brands. I know we all love running, but I am pretty sure we all love saving a little money too! Here is a list of sales, discount codes, etc. that you might want to cash in!
Help Timex donate to One Fund Boston! Send a Tweet or post to Instagram using the hashtag #IMARUNNER. For each hashtag, Timex will donate $5, up to $15,000, to One Fund Boston to help those affected on April 15, 2013. In addition, Timex will be giving away 60 Timex Ironman watches to runners who use the hashtag! Feel free to also submit a story to the Timex Facebook page. (Offcial Rules)
Join the Brooks Running group run on Facebook! Log your miles today at RUNNOW.COM (or brag on Twitter using the hashtag #RUNNOW) and you could win some awesome gear! Also, while you are over at RunNow.com, check out their super cool bracelets benefitting One Fund Boston.
Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series is offering $20 off, as well as prizes and giveaways throughout the day!
Women’s Running Series is offering $20 off!
Sparkly Soul is offering 15% off of their headbands today! Use coupon code RUNNINGDAY during checkout!
RockMyRun is offering 40% off their annual premium memberships today only! This site offers awesome running mixes for download.
MyRaceRagz.com creates custom running shirts. Minimum order? One! Save 20% off your order today using the discount code NATIONAL at checkout!
The NFL Run Series is offering $5 off registration for one of their NFL affiliated 5k races…today only!
If you know of some other great discounts, prizes, or giveaways that are not listed here, please leave a comment below to share it with other readers or drop me an e-mail and I will add it to the site!
To register for The Louisiana Marathon at last month’s discounted rates, use code STILLMAY at checkout!
Save $13.10 on registration for the Woman’s Half Marathon using code RUNDAY2013!
Save $13.10 on registration for the Gulf Coast Half Marathon using code RUNDAY!
Okay, well, that’s all I have got for you today! Not too shabby for a “comeback blog”, eh?