I’m going streaking.

24 May

Oh, now stop it. Pull your mind out of the gutter right this minute.

Not that kind of streaking…run streaking! Woot!
Run Streak
With the release of yesterday’s big news, I find myself getting easily overwhelmed these days. I really do have a lot on my plate and if I do not take a little bit more “me time,” I really think I might just crack.

Wrapping up things at work, making sure we are staying on top of all the bills during this financial transition, finding a home, finding a new daycare for Baby Key, and packing up all of our stuff and moving 700+ miles (and I am sure there are some other big decisions on my plate that I am just not thinking of right now) creates enough stress that sometimes I think my brain might liquefy and ooze right out of my ears. Nice visual, yes?

The only way that I can manage this and keep myself sane is to keep on running. I know that some days it is easy to make excuses not to go run, especially when you do have really important things that need attention. I simply cannot “lose myself” in all this stress. If I do, I know it will eat me alive.

Starting on Memorial Day (Monday, May 28th), I will be participating in the Runner’s World Summer Running Streak 2012. The goal is to run at least one mile per day from Memorial Day to Independence Day (Wednesday, July 4th)! That is a minimum of 38 miles in 38 days.

Totally doable, right? RIGHT.

This is just the thing I need to force me to make at least 10 “me” minutes each day. This is a solid, attainable goal for me during this super hectic time in our lives. Right now, any bigger commitment might be too much.

So you are going to join me, right? I thought so! All you have to do is run at least one mile per day throughout the duration of the streak. If you are on Twitter, keep all the fine folks at Runner’s World up-to-date on your progress by using the hashtag #RWRunStreak!

If you plan to do it too, leave me a comment and let me know!

23 Responses to “I’m going streaking.”

1. Carrie May 24, 2012 at 11:17 AM #

Oooo… I am new to running and love a challenge! I’m going to try to join you. Only, I think on my “rest” days, I’ll just make sure to walk that mile. ;-) Thanks!

2. {lifeasa}RunningMom May 24, 2012 at 12:21 PM #

Awesome! I am on day 147 and a mom with a crazy life so I can tell you first hand, it is doable! Have fun!!

3. Ann May 24, 2012 at 1:17 PM #

Definitnely streaking. :) LOVE IT.

4. evamadera May 24, 2012 at 2:28 PM #

I’m definitely joining you! As soon as I saw your tweet yesterday I looked up the RW challenge and decided to do it. I totally understand what you mean about running keeping you sane. I’m making some big decisions too (reveal to come anywhere between 1-4 months…) and I was a mental mess this morning but then I went for a run. Just what I needed.
    I’m praying for you guys as you make this big transition!

5. Carrie May 24, 2012 at 2:57 PM #

Oooh this osunds great – I’m in!!

6. Ro @ Eat Live Move May 24, 2012 at 2:57 PM #

I’m definitely thinking about it…I love a challenge! Thanks for the info!

7. David H. May 24, 2012 at 3:03 PM #

I did their holiday running streak, which came at a great time for me. It was kind of in between training sessions, but it was enough to keep me focused on some kind of running. Enjoy!

8. J.Rho May 24, 2012 at 5:50 PM #

I’m joining you! I love any way to keep motivated and this sounds like a great little challenge :) love your posts!

9. Buffy Dye May 24, 2012 at 9:25 PM #

I’m in!! Hoping to get my kids to join me.

10. Tasha @ Healthy Diva May 24, 2012 at 11:17 PM #

I am so tempted to do this!!!! If I have clearance from my doctor I am going to…I love a good challenge.

11. Liz Glomb (@eglomb) May 25, 2012 at 7:26 AM #

Looking forward to the challenge!

12. XLMIC May 25, 2012 at 1:09 PM #

Will there be any streaking during the streak? LOL.

13. Tina Garstad May 25, 2012 at 9:52 PM #

this streak starts the day AFTER i do my first marathon. egads. that might be hard!!! :-)

14. Melissa May 25, 2012 at 11:50 PM #

This sounds like a really great idea and might just be what I need to keep me running every day! Thanks for sharing!

15. Beth (i run like a girl) May 26, 2012 at 10:43 AM #

I did the runstreak during the winter holidays and LOVED it.

16. abersteve May 26, 2012 at 1:33 PM #

Gonna join you streaking. I will be streaking around the lanes in abergavenny.

17. Stephen May 27, 2012 at 2:05 PM #

I too just moved 600+ miles for a new job, have a baby on the way, and am trying to get settled into or new house, so the idea of 10 me minutes daily sounds like a plan. I will join you and the other runners world readers in the 2012 rw running streak. It will also help me stay motivated to train for my October half. Keep running Katie!

18. Marisa Phillips May 28, 2012 at 11:58 AM #

I am in! Always love a challenge!

19. trailrunningchick May 29, 2012 at 8:40 AM #

You know what? I’ll join. I actually ran yesterday so all I need to do is keep on going and likely just do a recovery mile today. It works great too since i’ve been meaning to run more with my husband at HIS pace and therefore need to practice slow recovery runs.

20. Jan Scott (@janscott75) May 29, 2012 at 11:27 AM #

I’m going to try this too! I normally run only every 2nd or 3rd day, but I should be able to eek out a mile on my off days.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Running/Active Streak « Season It Already! - May 28, 2012

[...] starts something I learned on the blog katieRUNSthis. It is a 38-day running streak organized by Runner’s World Magazine. The goal is to run at [...]

2. Streaking | katielookingforward - May 28, 2012

[...] must be the new word. Because on another blog I found information on a little competition Runners World is doing. Basically, starting Memorial [...]

3. Wheels In Motion. UPDATES! « katieRUNSthis - May 31, 2012

[...] the #RWRunStreak… The streak is alive! Today is Day 4 and I am still going strong! I know that 4 days is not [...]