TurboFire/Shakeology Program: Initial Reactions

24 Apr

As a follow-up to yesterday’s post

Yesterday afternoon I raced home to pick up my TurboFire/Shakeology Challenge Pack! I was like a kid in a candy store and I may or may not have actually done a happy dance when I had the box in my hands!

Want to know what I got? Here is a quick intro…

Note: The weighted gloves were not part of the challenge pack. I ordered these separately. This is an accessory that is also available through Beachbody. I wanted to really get my arms toned, so I will be using them with the TurboFire program.  You can find them in the Beachbody store under “TurboJams Gear.”

As soon as I got everything out of the box and set up on my table, I got down to the business of taking my “before” photos and recording my beginning measurements. While I know that taking before photos and measurements is an essential step, the whole process made me cringe. Shedding my shirt, standing there in from of the camera in my running knickers and a sports bra…Oh Lord, I felt gross. And then I started taking my measurements.

The last time I took my measurements was a couple of years ago when I was being fitted for a bridesmaid dress. At the time, I was working out regularly and I was pretty proud of my numbers. Yesterday? Yeah, notsomuch. Seeing the numbers written down in my notebook made me tear up a little. It was a stark reminder of how much my body has changed and just how much work I have to do to get it back where I want it.

I had a pity party for a minute or two and then reminded myself that the only thing I can do is what I am doing…focusing on healthy eating and an exercise program. Diligence! Persistence! I have to keep reminding myself what the end goal is…fast, fun, happy running! I want to be a joyous, strong runner again!

Initial Reaction of Package Contents
It seems that Beachbody has given me all of the tools to be successful. In addition to the DVDs and resistance bands, there is ample literature explaining the methodology of the program, why HIIT training is so effective, and how to monitor your nutrition throughout the duration of the program. I didn’t have time to read all of this last night, but I plan to do so today. I want to follow the nutrition program as well so that I can truly maximize my results.

Initial Reaction of First Workout: Fire 30 Class + Stretch 10 Class
It took me a whole 2.7 seconds to fall in love with this workout. Once the DVD was in, absolutely no time was wasted jumping into the workout. This is good for me. I need something I can get in, work out, and get on with my day. The Fire 30 Class was about 35 minutes long and I TOTALLY feel like I got a good workout. By the time it was done I was dripping with sweat and I moved muscle groups that I haven’t used in SO long with just running. The Stretch 10 Class was a great way to wind down and the focus on stretching out the arms and rotator cuffs was a nice change. The rotator cuff is a body part that I rarely stretch out and the DVD serves as a good reminder that all parts of the body need attention. Today, I am feeling “good sore.” I am not so sore that I feel like I can’t do anything, but I am sore enough that I really feel like I worked hard. This is a phenomenal feeling! That slight soreness means I am triggering muscles that I hadn’t been in previous workouts and this is EXACTLY what I was hoping to achieve from this program. I am already looking forward to this evening’s workout! Woot!

Initial Reaction of Shakeology: Chocolate
After my workout, I went inside to make my first Shakeology shake. Normally, I will be drinking this for breakfast, but since it had not arrived until yesterday evening, I made it my dinner. Let me say this…I am really impressed with the way this stuff tastes! Although you can mix it with other things like skim milk, almond milk, etc., I just mixed it with tap water since I was kind of in a hurry (mama duties were calling!). The taste was really good and very chocolately. The best part? No weird chalky or powdery after taste. I have tried several other protein/nutritional shakes including EAS AdvantEdge (Rich Chocolate), Big Train Fit Frappe (several flavors), and Spiru-Tein (Chocolate). This product, by far, has a smoother texture and better taste, though I will say it compare most closely by taste to the Big Train products. I look forward to trying some of the shake recipes that were included in the package!

This morning, I made another shake and ate an apple. I have not felt this full after an “on the go” breakfast in a really long time! I am excited to see the long-term effects of the Shakeology program. If you are interested in learning more about just the Shakeology, you can check out their website or YouTube it to see personal results videos.

(Side Note: I will put it out there that I did sign up to be a Beachbody coach…mostly for the discounts. Hello? Who doesn’t like to save money?? However, if you are interested in trying anything from Beachbody, it would be cool if you ordered it through me. No pressure, but if you have any questions or want to order anything, you can always e-mail me.)

So, that brings me to today. I’m going to spend some time today really understanding the nutritional guide and making a grocery list. I want to stock my refrigerator and pantry with all of the right things so I have no excuse not to make healthy eating choices. And like my friend, Kristyn, suggested…I plan on shopping from the edges of the grocery store as much as possible! I also want to plan out meals that work for ME, as some of the recipes suggested on the plan include ingredients that make me gag.

As always, I will be blogging this whole journey. That way, if it works and I have crazy good results, I can remember exactly how I got there! In the meantime, I will be using MyFitnessPal to log my daily meals, water intake, and what not. If you are on there, add me as a friend! You can find me under username “katiemkey”.

In other (equally EXITING!) news…Nuun is announcing the women they have selected to participate in the Nuun Hood to Coast Relay teams! There will be three all-female, all-blogger teams and I really hope I make the cut! I heard about this last year via other bloggers I follow who participated. The experiences they shared were incredible and it looked like so much fun, so I wanted to make sure I got my name in the hat for this year. I submitted my entry a few weeks ago and I have been anxiously awaiting the announcement. The selected members will be announced today at 12PM PST! Fingers crossed! I have never been to that part of the country and I have never run Hood to Coast before and I feel like this would be an experience of a lifetime! And to represent an awesome company like Nuun? Yes, please!

What’s happening in your world today? Are you mixing up your workouts? Are you trying any new products that you like and think I should check out too?

14 Responses to “TurboFire/Shakeology Program: Initial Reactions”

1. SlowTrier April 24, 2012 at 10:13 AM #

Woot! I’m excited that you are so excited about your new plan! It looks cool. I wish I had the ability/rhythm/grace/focus to follow along to DVDs, but I always get so confused, feel dumb and just quit.

BUT, I just ordered New Rules of Weightlifting for Women and I can’t wait for it to come in! Toned muscles and better fat burning, here I come! I’ve been wanting to add more weights into my routines (which are anything but routine/scheduled) and this looks like a great program.

I need to get back into C210K speed, but I’ve discovered that it’s so hard for me to follow specific speed workouts anywhere but the treadmill. I may just focus on weight loss and weight lifting this summer, along with du/tri trianing, and go back to C210K in fall/winter when I need to spend more time in the gym because I can’t run on the road anyway….

Good luck!!!

2. Kyle Kranz April 24, 2012 at 10:33 AM #

Here are my thoughts on Shakeology. Coming from an ex-obese ultra marathoner with a degree in nutrition who believes the best nutritional advice is to “eat real food, not too much, mostly plants – Mike Pollan”

I have a very low opinion on Shakeology, and just about all of those multilevel marketing health supplement programs (Herbalife, Body By Vi, etc). I feel spending $4 on a shake and replacing a meal with it is almost criminal. Of course you are going to lose weight doing that, nothing magical here. Yet Beach Body “coaches” who often have little or no training or health education, are selling the stuff like it’s the best thing since sliced bread. Their corporate mass produced annoying “inspirational” posts on facebook and twitter sound like they are pulled from some library of inspiration from Beach Body.

The workout routines are cool. I doubt by the “muscle confusion” theory exactly, but it is good fun exercise. The supplements are my issue.

Sorry. It just bugs me that similar results can be easily reached in a more natural, cost effective, and easier way.

• katieRUNSthis April 24, 2012 at 10:45 AM #

I really appreciate your comments. And I will be the first to admit that I have no formal training in nutritional counseling and I am definitely not a registered dietitian. And I certainly hope no one misinterprets me as such!

In general, I agree with you 100%. I, too, try to get as much nutrition from actual food as possible. The reason I chose to at least try Shakeology is this…I get up at the butt-crack of dawn to get in the car and get started on my 1 hour and 15 minutes commute (I have to be at work at 7AM). That time of morning, I am doing good just to get showered, dressed, and in the car. I needed something quick and easy that didn’t require much thought. This seemed like a good product for me to try. Plus, I have had friends that liked it as well.

And as far as the “Church of Beachbody” is concerned, I am going to agree with you wholeheartedly. I often find that their salespeople (COACHES) are high-pressure and overbearing. The only reason I signed up to be a coach is because I got a discount on the program and I get 25% off on future orders. And considering that my husband is thinking about ordering P90X2 (as we already have P90X), I did it purely for the cost savings. I have no intention of recruiting my family and friends into any kind of sales scheme or becoming a full-time coach. That’s just not my gig.

At the end of the day, I got this program because I needed something that got me really excited to exercise again…something to light that fire (no pun intended). This program has done that, so, for that, I’m thankful!

Again, I really appreciate your comments and for stopping by my blog! :D

3. Mrs. ADM (@iRUN4myMOM) April 24, 2012 at 11:11 AM #

Good luck with everything…. Food is so mental… Planning helps tremendously and so does tracking! Take your time and develop new habits and you will soon see great rewards! –former fluffy girl

4. Courtney April 24, 2012 at 11:22 AM #

I’m excited for your new adventure. I’ll be anxiously watching the results and appreciate your thoughtful opinions on these products. I don’t have kids but I do fur babies (dogs) and two jobs so any short cuts in the morning (like the shakes) are always nice to read about. I’ve also never tried anything like P90X or TurboFire but have always wanted to… Thanks again!

5. Carrie April 24, 2012 at 11:23 AM #

Where do you find NUUN. I haven’t been able to find it in a local store around here.

• katieRUNSthis April 24, 2012 at 11:29 AM #

I am able to buy Nuun at my local specialty running store. I don’t think it is typically available in the “big box” sports retailers. However, check here to see where you can find it in your area. And if all else fails, you can always buy it online. :)

• Carrie April 24, 2012 at 11:32 AM #

Thank you!

6. lifeisarun April 24, 2012 at 11:38 AM #

So excited for you with the TurboFire/Shakeology/Beachbody! It’s so good to have something that’s exciting to jump into and loooove how you only let yourself have a minute or two pity party and said this is why I’m doing it! It’s so easy to dwell on the negative – we so hope this is us when we are in your shoes post baby losing weight! You are going to rock this, Katie!! Glad you like the shakeology, we both really enjoy the chocolate too! Good luck with the Nuun HTC announcement!

7. Carrie April 24, 2012 at 1:36 PM #

Can’t wait to read about your progress! I’m a MyFitnessPal user as well so I sent you an add request. :)

8. Jamie April 24, 2012 at 2:17 PM #

Congrats on getting selected for a Nuun team! I wanted to apply, but I have school during that time. Regardless, I look forward to reading about your prep and the actual relay! I know you’ll be so psyched for it!

9. Beth @ RUNNINGaroundmykitchen.com April 25, 2012 at 2:12 PM #

Good luck, I’m really excited for you! I’ve been trying to make some changes and have started writing everything I eat down and being more focused on what I am eating – it’s hard and time consuming! I couldn’t imagine trying to do what I am doing now with a baby and your schedule! I think everyone needs to find what works for them and it’s important that it fits with your schedule and motivates you and this sounds like it does both. Good luck!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Sky rockets in flight…afterNUUN delight! « katieRUNSthis - April 25, 2012

[...] dates work out perfectly for me.  By then, I will have “graduated” my TurboFire program and I will be feeling strong!  YES!  Over the next couple of weeks, I will be getting [...]

2. No, I’m Not Pregnant Again. « katieRUNSthis - May 23, 2012

[...] have you been keeping up with TurboFire and Shakeology? Yeeeeeah…about that. Y’all, I couldn’t. I just couldn’t. I tried…really hard…but with [...]