The Last 0.2

8 Nov

It is not the first 26 miles that do a number on you, it is the last 0.2 mile that kill you. Or something like that, right? A whopping 0.2 mile of pain and bliss. Whatever the saying is, it is TRUE.

If that is the case, I fear I just might keel over and die right here in the homestretch. Okay, that might be exaggerating a little, but seriously, I am *so* over this pregnancy thing. Not that I do not adore Baby Key or the fact that I have made this awesome little human being, but I am really, REALLY ready for him to be out here and not in there. Everyday that goes by, my body becomes more and more uncomfortable and less mobile…which a really difficult thing for me.

If our little man decides not to arrive of his own volition today, he will most definitely be making his grand entrance into the world tomorrow…courtesy of an order of induction. Awesome. This is not exactly how I had planned for things to go, but some of the best laid plans go awry, so I suppose it is out of my hands. What I certainly prefer nature to take its course and for things to start moving on their own, I also do not want to keep letting more and more time go by, letting him get bigger and bigger, and potentially putting him in distress. So, induction it is.

Oh, and do not think I have not tried everything under the sun to get this kiddo out on his own. Even my 2mi run last night at the LSU lakes did not even get him moving! Sheesh.

Pitocin scares me.

Like a lot.

I woke up at 2:30AM thinking about it.

Before my first 5k…I did not sleep. Nervous.
Before my first 10k…I did not sleep. Anxious.
Before my first half marathon…I did not sleep. Worried.
Before my first marathon…I did not sleep. Scared. To. Death.

Before my child enters the world…I know I will not sleep. All of them…rolled into one…times a billion.

How do women do it? How do MOMS do it? I have been spending the last few days reading some of my favorite sections of Run Like a Mother and I swear that running moms (and running dads) are super heroes. How will I ever hang among this elite group? How do they manage everything…seamlessly…all while making it look absolutely effortless?

I know this is rambling. My sincere apologies. I am truly a mixed bag of emotions today. While I am thrilled that there is a light at the end of the tunnel, just making it through the next 36 hours will take a level of will and determination that I have never had to muster…yet.

But, this is what my body was made to do. I just have to have faith in it. Just like with the marathon, I have “trained”…my body is ready…I just have to let it all go and switch into auto-pilot.

Tomorrow is going to be a BIG DAY! Fingers crossed!

29 Responses to “The Last 0.2”

1. running on faith November 8, 2011 at 12:54 PM #

you will do great! pitocin is not bad. they had to give me pitocin when I started my labor and I promise you, if you can run a marathon, you will do fine.

But, like you, I was SCARED to death of labor! I hate needles, ivs, and hospitals. I can gut through pain in a race but I’m a total wuss in hospitals.

Lots of thoughts and prayers going out to you today. And yes, I never thought I would be able to balance running with parenthood but I’ve become more motivated and broke several personal records since having my daughter. You will be amazed at your strength and stamina, post-baby. Good luck and can’t wait to hear about Baby Key’s arrival!!

2. karenjanos November 8, 2011 at 12:58 PM #

You’ll do great! You’ll figure out the whole mom and running mom thing as you go along. Try to relax and enjoy the birth of Baby Key. Even though it hurts like hell there is nothing quite like it.

Good luck!

3. KristynKG November 8, 2011 at 1:00 PM #

Prayers and best wishes to you, and Brent and Baby Key! Rest up Mama! It’s gonna be a big day!

4. Sarah (A Runner's Heart) November 8, 2011 at 1:04 PM #

Good Luck! I was induced with pitocin. Don’t let it worry you to much. Yes it did hurt, but it’s not like the movies where you are screaming at everyone and trying to rip your hubby’s head off. :) I hope you are considering an epidural. I went in thinking, if I feel I need one, I will get one. And I did and it was wonderful. But I completely respect those who don’t as well! Each woman is different! I will just pray for peace for you and a very healthy baby!! :) None of it will even matter once you see that precious baby anyway! :)

5. Beth @ RUNNINGaroundmykitchen.com November 8, 2011 at 1:07 PM #

This is a great comparison and I’m so excited for you!!! You’ll do great, like any race, it is worse in your head right now than it will be in reality :) And, as a side benefit, I’ve read that runners sometimes get faster after giving birth because after fighting through the pain of childbirth (sorry to bring that up again), they can fight through higher levels of pain while racing!

6. crystal November 8, 2011 at 1:13 PM #

Yuck, pitocin…but sometimes a necessary evil. Don’t be afraid to ask for the meds if you need them! Pitocin is rough! But not unbearably rough (I also was not the screaming, swearing type I thought I might be…haha)

7. Leslie November 8, 2011 at 1:25 PM #

Yes Katie, you will do this. You will have your beautiful little boy, and you will return to running with him. Pitocin isn’t a lot of fun, I’ll be honest, but see if they’ll turn it on gently (low dose), then turn it off when things get going. Stay off your back and out of bed as much as possible, they really can strap the monitors to you and let you move around including out of the bed, despite what they might say. Breath through the contractions and just take them one at a time. If it comes time an epidural becomes necessary that’s ok, still though, try to stay off your back so you can have a better shot getting baby Key out without problems. Best of luck, you’ll be fine and do great! Enjoy him!

8. lifeisarun November 8, 2011 at 1:25 PM #

Neither of us have had kids and accomplishing everything Moms accomplish freaks me out for the future. BUT, they do it! They get it done and you are a go getter! You will get it done! Have so much faith in you for it all, but I’m glad you shared this with all of us so we can encourage you on because you are going to be an awesome Running Mom, Katie!

9. kagruns November 8, 2011 at 1:30 PM #

Katie, I can NOT wait for you to look back on this log. In like a week. I so remember the impatience (both my kids were “over-due”) and the anticipation. :) I’m so very thankful your pregnancy has been uneventful, and I will be praying for a good outcome for you tomorrow. Have you tried a pedicure? You know that whole pressure points on your feet thing? I did it because I figured, what’s the worse that could happen? My toes will look good!!

• katieRUNSthis November 8, 2011 at 1:40 PM #

Ha! I hope you are right. I am sure I am just making too big a deal about all of this, but this is just something new for me…and its BIG. :) Yes, my sister-in-law went for pedicures yesterday. I had sort of hope they would hit some pressure points in my foot, but no luck. However, the pedicure did feel amazing and now I have pretty navy blue toenails to walk around the hospital with! :)

10. mickiruns November 8, 2011 at 2:30 PM #

I know people are notorious for sharing their horror stories…

This is not one.

I was afraid of Pitocin as well, and did everything in my power to NOT have it – but it was inevitable. Honestly, the stress and worry I put on myself was pointless, because I had an incredible birthing experience.

I look forward to hearing about Baby Key’s entrance into the world!!!!

11. Karlee Rose Martinez November 8, 2011 at 2:50 PM #

You’ll do great! I had those same feelings over each of my four kids–just like we get over all our marathons and other races. I was induced with 2 of mine and I thought it went just as fine, even a little more controlled. All us mothers are ready to be done by the end–God designed it this way–and yet we are nervous about how things will come about. And you are already in the elite Mama Runner crew. You are already awesome, and you will, no doubt, find your way through any of the obstacles that might come your way. You got this.

12. Yanni Robel November 8, 2011 at 4:05 PM #

I was induced with both of my girls. It scary, yes, but you WILL do great. Be prepared for your contraction that will comes faster than normal and you will dilated faster than normal. Other than that, try to relax (yes – I know that’s easy to said, I was nothing but relaxing before). This is your moment. You got this. Lot of people are thinking about you!

13. Andrea November 8, 2011 at 4:15 PM #

You will do great. Whatever happens during the brth, you are already a rock star for the journey to momhood. And you will figure out the running baby balance in time. Dont forget running will always be there but baby changes so fast, so enjoy. Oh and you will learn to type well with one hand too!

14. hauterunningmama November 8, 2011 at 5:18 PM #

Sending you lots and lots of easy labor vibes!!! Praying for you :)

15. Barb November 8, 2011 at 5:20 PM #

This sleepless night is just one of many to come – It’s part of the package deal. :) You will be great – and the “finisher’s medal” tomorrow is the best one you’ll ever receive. Can’t wait to hear how it goes.

16. Doni November 8, 2011 at 5:30 PM #

Katie — you’ve get everything it takes to have this baby — induced or not. Talk to your doctor about possibly using the cervical gel first. That’s what I did with my second and it started the contractions and I was able to do everything without pitocin. But if you end up having to have pitocin, it will still all be okay. I know you’ve got an open mind to this process and the ideal end result is a healthy baby, no matter how you get there. TRY to get some sleep. Or at least calm meditative thoughts. The “medal” at this finish line is so much better than all your others combined!

17. @Heather2run November 8, 2011 at 6:50 PM #

Labor & delivery are scary, but worth it in the end. All of us parents who seem to have it together are all just flying by the seat of our pants. Because that’s what parenting is…you figure it out as you go along. Some days are a parenting PR day, others are a DNF. The kids all survive and are loved no matter what. You will be a great mom simply because you love your baby and want the best for him.

• Jennifer November 8, 2011 at 10:49 PM #

Love this comment especially the part about some days being PR days and others DNF. Soooo true!

18. Jen November 8, 2011 at 7:43 PM #

Good luck tomorrow Katie! Very excited for you :)

19. Heather November 8, 2011 at 7:46 PM #

aahh yay! good luck girl, you are going to do great!!! can’t wait to see pics and see you soon hopefully!

20. anna November 8, 2011 at 10:35 PM #

You’re going to be OK.You will be. Why? Because you will.

I’m still in the waiting period (6 more weeks until d-day), but it keeps me up at night thinking about balancing motherhood and marriage and work and running. But people do it, somehow, and if it’s important to you (which it is, obviously!) you’ll make it work.

21. Jennifer November 8, 2011 at 10:47 PM #

Best of luck tomorrow. You and baby key will be fine. He’ll be here before you know it and all the nervousness and anxiety will be replaced by an undescribable love.
    A good tip: You run a marathon one mile at a time, motherhood is the exact same, you take it one day at a time.

22. Celeste@MomBodFitness November 8, 2011 at 11:53 PM #

Katie – So excited for you! You are definitely capable of handling your amazing birthing experience, you’ve put in your time and practice. Your body is ready! Remember, you are a runner and know how to handle tough things mentally. Relax, stay focused and enjoy the process, ..now that you know it is finally coming, YEAH!

23. Nicole November 9, 2011 at 2:13 PM #

Hope the baby exits ASAP, before pitocin is required! Good luck- you can do it!

24. Dhitri November 9, 2011 at 8:50 PM #

Katie, I remember that feeling too vividly! Good luck, hope everything goes smoothly, and if they don’t go according to plan, have faith, your body is meant for this, it’s just not everything in life can be planned, right? I had a birth plan and mentally ran through (what I thought) all conceivable scenario and then when I went into labour… whoa, it was nothing like I ever thought it would be! But can I say it was the best thing ever (not the pain!) but seeing your gorgeous little baby the first time. Pure love!

Just looked at the date and time this was posted… Maybe you are in the middle of labour right now! Go baby and mumma Key!

25. Katrina Pietromica (@kpietromica) November 10, 2011 at 10:06 PM #

I’m hoping that you and Baby Key are resting in the hospital and that everything was wonderful. It’s an experience that you will likely never forget and I hope you were able to enjoy it. I had a fairly miserable experience with pitocin, being induced, and then an emergency c-section, but it was all worth it. Mine’s almost nine, but I wouldn’t take one moment of those hours back as soon as he was in my arms and I saw his perfect little face. I also didn’t want to tell you anything scary on your way in. I didn’t think you needed any reminding about what could be bad or go wrong. Praying that you’re all doing well and your enjoying being a new mom.

26. Laura November 18, 2011 at 3:36 PM #

I have ZERO doubt that you WILL manage it and manage it well… JOGGING stroller is all I’m gonna say. If you can swing a stroller that doubles as a bike trailer. AWESOME! ;) You will put mucho miles on that thing. Okay.. I guess the depends on where you are and if it’s ‘walkable’… I put thousands of miles on my jogger and count myself lucky to have done it. If I had lived here I wouldn’t have been able to.

27. Mandy November 30, 2011 at 11:51 AM #

I had to have Pitocin as well! It was no fun for sure. It’s kinda funny how birth itself seems like such a small amount of time in the grand scheme of things afterwards, even though before it happens it’s all you can think about.

Congrats mommy!