Best Running Costumes

17 Oct

15 Days Until Halloween!

I have made it no secret that I love Halloween and I love dressing up in costumes. In fact, it is quite the possibility that Baby Key may make his debut on Halloween, which would be a-okay with this mama-to-be!

With Halloween coming up so close, many cities are hosting themed/costume 5k, 10k, or even larger races. Participants are encouraged to go all out, with some races even handing out awards to best costumes in additions to racers with the best times! In fact, my city recently hosted a Zombie Bash 5k where participants were encouraged to dress in their best zombie get-up.

Over the years, I have seen some really awesome running costumes and I have seen some that…well, fall a little flat. The key to a great running costume is for it to look great while being fully functional to run in as well. And, overall, steer clear of using a lot of body paint. You will inevitably get sweaty and then you will have all this multi-colored paint running down the rest of the costume. Then you will just look like a mess! No bueno!

Great costume...until you the sweating starts...

In the homemade category, super big props goes to Lauren from Merry Mishaps. It appears that she might just love dressing up as much as I do! She has made some super fantastic costumes over the years but this one has to be one of my favorites!

Is your refrigerator running!?

As far as store-bought costumes go, here are some great ideas if you are still trying to figure out what to go as!

Super Fan Suits
These are SO cool! Plus, they are all one piece and made of spandex. While I am not sure these would be that comfortable for anything longer than a 10k, you will definitely make an impression in this head to toe body suit!

Clowns creep me OUT!

Team Sparkle
Hands down, this company has the lock on the BEST Disney princess running ensembles. Plus, nabbing one of these costumes could do double-duty. You could use it for Halloween AND for one of the runDisney Princess Half Marathon races! Score! Be sure and check out this link to see all of the options they suggest for dressing as a Disney princess. The Snow White costume is my favorite!!

Super Hero Costumes
Super heroes are notorious for body hugging outfits and capes (and who doesn’t love a good cape??). These are typically easy to find at your local party store or Halloween Express and still allow for lots of movement. Plus, if you are running a race as a team, you could all get coordinating costumes!

Elvis
C’mon…who doesn’t love Elvis? Heavens knows this girl does! (Did you know that I even have a dog named Elvis?) The company Elvis Run makes custom Elvis running costumes. Go ahead, get your Jailhouse Rock on while you are running this Halloween!

Here are some other costumes that certainly deserve honorable mentions….

Will YOU be running in costume this year? If so, for what race and what will YOU be dressed as?

19 Responses to “Best Running Costumes”

1. Lauren @ Forward is a Pace October 17, 2011 at 10:45 AM #

That clown is going to give me nightmares.

• Andrew October 17, 2011 at 12:19 PM #

Seriously, that’s the scariest clown I’ve ever seen! Haha.

• katieRUNSthis October 17, 2011 at 12:20 PM #

Ha! Well, then I guess it makes the most perfect Halloween costume then, right? I’m not a big fan of clowns either.

2. Mrs. Robertson October 17, 2011 at 10:48 AM #

I have a 5K on 10/30. I need a costume! Thanks for the ideas.

3. Karlee Rose Martinez October 17, 2011 at 10:52 AM #

I was thinking of dressing up as GU. Any ideas on how I could do that?

• Lauren/merrymishaps October 17, 2011 at 11:47 AM #

I’ve actually considered dressing up like GU before. You could go simple with a couple pieces of posterboard painted like your favorite flavor (front and back) … or I’d probably dust off my sewing machine and find some silver shiny fabric, using felt or other fabric to match the package design.

I’ve made fabric costumes before by sewing batting between two pieces of fabric (x2), and then sewing those together, leaving holes for head , legs and arms.

• katieRUNSthis October 17, 2011 at 12:22 PM #

I’ve been trying to come up with good Gu ideas too. I’m not crafty enough for a sewing machine, but you could do two posterboard cut-outs and staple them around you? I think dressing up as a Gu is an AWESOME idea but I just am not sure the best execution of this idea.

4. Lauren/merrymishaps October 17, 2011 at 11:32 AM #

Glad you love my costumes! I have way too much fun with it.

I’m so sad they don’t have that Halloween 5K anymore. I’m running Marine Corps Marathon on Oct 30 and that’s a little too far for a crazy costume.

Though if it’s chilly, that ninja outfit could be comfy :)

• katieRUNSthis October 17, 2011 at 12:23 PM #

Seriously, your costumes are the best! I love how you don’t do anything half-way. You go ALL OUT! That’s what makes it really fun!

5. Maggie October 17, 2011 at 11:59 AM #

I’m doing a haunted obstacle course 5K this Saturday. I’m planning to wear a pirate costume that I bought for Halloween a few years ago. http://www.flickr.com/photos/notmargaret/5019533778/

Last year my (male) friend wore it in a Halloween-weekend frisbee tournament. http://www.flickr.com/photos/akeg/5180861822/

• katieRUNSthis October 17, 2011 at 12:20 PM #

Aaaargh! I love pirates! I have a great pirate costume in storage somewhere but it certainly isn’t fitting over the baby bump this year! :)

6. Team Sparkle (@runTeamSparkle) October 17, 2011 at 2:33 PM #

Thanks for the shout out! We LOVE running costumes for sure…. it’s one of our favorites excuses for running a race!

• katieRUNSthis October 17, 2011 at 3:07 PM #

Your DIY Princess costumes are the cutest! The Snow White and Ariel ones are my favorite! I love how you coordinate down to the shoes and everything! Too cute!

7. David H. October 17, 2011 at 7:36 PM #

I’ve always wanted to do a race in which I was dressed up as a hunter and have a friend, or friends, dress like deer. Nobody wants to do it though.

8. Jina October 17, 2011 at 10:30 PM #

I really want to dress up for a race. I love Halloween, and I love costumes! Thanks for the great ideas.

9. FindingMyHappyPace October 18, 2011 at 7:12 AM #

hahaha I like the refrigerator running one! Cool post, I have a 10k on Halloween weekend, great to gather some ideas for it!

10. Brooke October 18, 2011 at 7:12 AM #

i had originally intended to go this year as a 1980s Jazzercise girl, but looking thru race photos very few people dress for the haunted half. i don’t have the body to rock a leotard and stand out like a sore thumb.

i’ve since borrowed my dad’s referee hat, whistle, and shirt that i’ll pair with black running tights.

although the lingerie costume section was where i got my inspiration – for a lady any of those costumes + tights would work – assuming they were sports bra friendly!

11. Amanda October 25, 2011 at 9:56 AM #

Some of these costumes are incredible and hysterical!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Fearless 5k | Twelve in Twelve - October 25, 2011

[…] Katie from Katie Runs This posted an awesome blog last week about running costumes. (click to link) […]